Standing in line at the Post Office windows, one can look up to see the mural that corners one end of the post office lobby. The mural represents the citrus industry that had become a vital part of our area economy by 1942. “Often mistaken for WPA art, post office murals were actually executed by artists working for the Section of Fine Arts. Commonly known as “The Section” it was established in 1934 and administered by the Procurement Division of the Treasury Department. Headed by Edward Bruce, a former lawyer, businessman and artist, The section’s main function was to select art of high quality to decorate public buildings if funding was available. “By providing decoration in public buildings, the art was made accessible to all people”. From “Articles from EnRoute: Off the Wall: New Post Office Murals” by Patricia Raynor.
The luster of the mural has dimmed since its creation over seven decades ago, but it remains a delight to Post Office visitors.
Sponsored by: US Treasury Department
Date created: 1942
Dimensions: 14' x 5'